This is my 2011 art project: I'm going to attempt to do one drawing every day of the year. The drawings can be any medium, any size, any level of care and completion. I'm looking forward to seeing how my work evolves and improves, and whether this practice helps me to be more organized and "together" in the rest of my life pursuits.

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

10/13/11

Underpainting for "Floodit" painting

OK, this is not a drawing. And I haven't been doing a drawing a day for awhile. But I have been looking at a lot of art online, most of it abstract. I have never worked abstractly, but am very attracted to it, and admire those who do. I've also been playing an online game called "Floodit", where you have to choose colors and try to turn the whole game board one color within 25 moves. I usually lose this game, and am left with a large field of one color with a few scattered squares of other colors here and there. I've been fascinated with the random aspect of this game, and sometimes the end result looks like a geometric abstract painting. So, both to break my non-working streak, and to dip my toe into abstract water, I have started to reproduce the game with paint. This is the first stage - a random pattern of six colors into a grid of 10 by 10 squares. (My husband actually made a random number generator in Excel to come up with the random pattern.) I mixed up a palette of six colors and dutifully painted them in to the squares. (I may redo the dark red, because I don't like it much, and it's too transparent.)

The next step, on another day, will be to play Floodit with this board - starting with one square, I'll choose an adjacent color and paint the beginning square that color. And so on, moving from color to adjacent color. Look up the game on line to get a feel for it, if you want. I have no idea if this will be successful, and I'm painfully aware that it's not a very creative thing to do. Maybe it will break the ice for me to do a little abstract work - please don't laugh at me, I'm taking baby steps.

2 comments:

  1. It's much more creative than you are giving yourself credit for - for example you have to figure out if, as one supposes, you are going to preserve the original color (the history of the colors) and if so, how... and if not, then perhaps you want to devise a new goal for yourself, like pursuing attractive color juxtapositions rather than "flooding" the board with one color... and since there are no rules to the drawing a day other than to exercise skills, learn, hopefully enjoy and feed the creative well, then you can dip into any well you wish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may be the monitor on the laptop, but the two blues are almost too close to tell apart.

    ReplyDelete