This is my 2011 art project: I'm going to attempt to do one drawing every day of the year. The drawings can be any medium, any size, any level of care and completion. I'm looking forward to seeing how my work evolves and improves, and whether this practice helps me to be more organized and "together" in the rest of my life pursuits.

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

9/1/11

September self-portrait

The first of the month, self-portrait day, whether I like it or not! I used a mirror that hangs on the wall by my front door - the lighting was interesting. But I had to draw standing up, holding a heavy sketchbook, and so my aim was to do a Very quick drawing. Just for fun, I started at the very center - the bridge of the nose, and did the farther away eye first. Then down the nose, up to the near eye, top of the head, the ear, and mouth (which there is always something funny about.) I've always enjoyed drawing my glasses bisecting my eyes and causing distortions on my far cheek.

1 comment:

  1. This is a really nice one! The first thing I noticed was the glowiness from the light, then that the intent expression and something subtle in the shoulders convey that you are drawing this yourself. Then, reading about the order of approach, I enlarged it and it looks even more like you enlarged... and I don't think the mouth has something funny about it - it's just how you look when you are listening to something and considering how to phrase your answer.

    ReplyDelete