This is my 2011 art project: I'm going to attempt to do one drawing every day of the year. The drawings can be any medium, any size, any level of care and completion. I'm looking forward to seeing how my work evolves and improves, and whether this practice helps me to be more organized and "together" in the rest of my life pursuits.

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

8/2/11

My left sandal

I went into my studio tonight intending to do a drawing using my left hand. This was an exercise we had to do in school, and I wanted to try it again. But just taking the pencil into my left hand felt so wrong - I just didn't have the energy to devote to it tonight. When I put the pencil back into my right hand, it felt so much better. I'll have to try again with the left. I drew this using a 6B woodless graphite pencil, which makes great blacks.

1 comment:

  1. As I recall, the purpose of drawing with one's left hand (I'm not sure what left-handers did) was to force the brain into a different mode of operation and thus access some aspect of creativity that was otherwise inaccessible. Then brain researchers found that this wasn't as effective as simply learning to access the right side of one's brain (the most famous exposition is Betty Edwards' Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain) and other art teachers took up her approach...so it is quite OK not to draw with your left hand - your right hand obviously knows its way across to accessing your right brain. On the other hand, you might get something quite different out of it.

    ReplyDelete