This is my 2011 art project: I'm going to attempt to do one drawing every day of the year. The drawings can be any medium, any size, any level of care and completion. I'm looking forward to seeing how my work evolves and improves, and whether this practice helps me to be more organized and "together" in the rest of my life pursuits.

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

4/19/11

Amber glass candy dish

I bought this pretty little bowl years ago, intending to put it in a painting, but it has always intimidated me with its complicated pattern. I thought that drawing it would help me understand its structure and make it possible to paint. Its scalloped edge is divided into 12 sections. I'll have to paint it, because its beautiful amber color just can't be expressed in a graphite drawing.

2 comments:

  1. I can't agree. You've really convinced my visual system that I'm looking at a glass bowl - the shine in the inside is especially glycerin feeling and the shadows on the table ring true. Even the filigree is so well spaced there's no "off" bit that grabs for undue attention (a very difficult feat). Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Em! I have to credit all this drawing-a-day business... the daily exercise makes it so much easier to see and interpret complicated spatial patterns. Before I was doing this, I could not have drawn this bowl.

    ReplyDelete