This is my 2011 art project: I'm going to attempt to do one drawing every day of the year. The drawings can be any medium, any size, any level of care and completion. I'm looking forward to seeing how my work evolves and improves, and whether this practice helps me to be more organized and "together" in the rest of my life pursuits.

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

1/30/11













More drawings of The Brooks Tegler group at the Irish Inn at Glen Echo. They play there every Sunday 5:30-8:30. It's so great to listen to live jazz by a bunch of guys who really play well together, and stand so close to draw them. I just added some more of the sketches I did last night. Here are the "flubs" as well as the good ones. Some of the "flubs" are funny, and catch the energy.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - these are even better than before! I love the line quality, pretty much on all of them. The bottom one has small dots where you put down your pen (maybe then looked again) and then did a short squiggled - but exquisitely contoured - line, then again and again. I can see pretty much any of these being turned into a painting with smokey blue and gold colors or the bright vibrating colors painters tend to pair with jazz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! This place was very constricted, space-wise. We had stools Right in front of the band, and I stood up to draw. I was practically in the same space as the musicians, there was no stage, just a small pub. A very pleasant, regular crowd. I was aware of people (even the musicians) watching me draw, and I felt kind of bad for stealing any attention away from the wonderful music. I left a couple of good sketches out, so I'll add them to the above post.

    ReplyDelete