This is my 2011 art project: I'm going to attempt to do one drawing every day of the year. The drawings can be any medium, any size, any level of care and completion. I'm looking forward to seeing how my work evolves and improves, and whether this practice helps me to be more organized and "together" in the rest of my life pursuits.

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge.

Monday, January 31, 2011

1/31/11

Upstairs bathroom window

These are the bare maple trees in my backyard. I was partway through drawing all the louvers on the shutters when I thought, "What have I gotten myself into?" It was a little awkward drawing this while standing and holding a large sketchbook, but what I won't do for art!

5 comments:

  1. Ah, and think of what it did for your arm muscles...
    Yeah - I think one of my most deja vu moments as a sketcher is the "what have I gotten myself into" phase of the sketch. Not every time, mind you; but often enough so I have stopped thinking "I'll learn" and now think "Sigh. I'll never learn"...
    On the other (tired) hand, if I were not committed to doing a sketch a day I'd probably quit at that point more often and the discipline necessity adds is going to help before this year is out (or Else!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - and I wanted to add that I admire your great control: Few people who don't draw realize how incredibly difficult it is to make those lines on the shades that evenly, and keep their size so consistent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The above comment was in response to your first comment, and then I saw the second; thanks, I was actually surprised at the control I had. Standing there holding my sketchbook on my left arm, and drawing freehand, with no measuring, I was sure it would turn out looking like a blind contour!

    ReplyDelete