This is my 2011 art project: I'm going to attempt to do one drawing every day of the year. The drawings can be any medium, any size, any level of care and completion. I'm looking forward to seeing how my work evolves and improves, and whether this practice helps me to be more organized and "together" in the rest of my life pursuits.

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

2/10/11

Jar of olives

For this drawing, I used a cool pencil that is just graphite - no wood at all. It is coated with something to keep it from getting your hand filthy, and it sharpens in a regular pencil sharpener. This one was an 8B. I found it to be much better than a normal 8B, whose lead is so soft that you can't sharpen it in a sharpener because it just breaks off. Since this "lead" is the diameter of a pencil, it is much stronger. Try one!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I want to! I wonder if I can get it someplace easy and local like Michael's...
    I Love your shading. The light bounces around and leaves "glassy" shadows on the table and reflects up onto the olives, the jar looks solidly round and the middle olive presses on the glass. Lovely little gem of a drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you can get the pencil at Michael's... I got mine at Plaza. The pencil says "General's Woodless Graphite" If you ever order art supplies online, you probably could get it that way. Thanks for your comment about the light bouncing around in the jar - I was thinking of Janet Fish's paintings of things in jars while I drew it...

    ReplyDelete