This is my 2011 art project: I'm going to attempt to do one drawing every day of the year. The drawings can be any medium, any size, any level of care and completion. I'm looking forward to seeing how my work evolves and improves, and whether this practice helps me to be more organized and "together" in the rest of my life pursuits.

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

2/23/11

Bottle caps

This was drawn about life-size, but I wish I had done it twice as large. I would have loved to have more room to draw all the detail I could see. Maybe because it was on the table right in front of me, and I was so close to it, I could see too much detail.

4 comments:

  1. Really nice drawing. I like the bold lights and darks (which I guess you need when drawing metal).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially like this one. There Is a great deal of detail, but I love it all... the whole detail thing is a great trial. Detail is fascinating but also like a fractal - you can get closer and Closer and CLOSER and there's always just more detail you aren't into yet!!
    Anyway, this is a wonderful drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really catch the hardness and reflective qualities of the opener and sharp crinkly edges of caps, and make an ordinary sort of thing stand out as worth noticing. You could do it again twice as large - and it would be a totally different sort of drawing. It would be more abut the reflections - fractal says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I don't know why, but I worry that my work is too Realistic. I don't know why I think that's a lesser thing than looser, more "impressionistic" work (for lack of a better word). I think other students in my art school looked down on Realism, and I'm still reacting to the internal voices I remember. I don't want people to think I work from photos, because I don't (except for little children and pet portraits.)

    ReplyDelete