This is my 2011 art project: I'm going to attempt to do one drawing every day of the year. The drawings can be any medium, any size, any level of care and completion. I'm looking forward to seeing how my work evolves and improves, and whether this practice helps me to be more organized and "together" in the rest of my life pursuits.

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

2/8/11

Three rocks, charcoal and white chalk

I did this drawing by toning the paper with vine charcoal, then putting in the darks and lifting out the lights with a kneaded eraser. However, I couldn't get back to the white of the paper (maybe the sketchbook paper I used wasn't good enough?) so I used white chalk, but only around the rocks.

4 comments:

  1. This is a completely new technique to me. The effect is stunning. Is this something that you devised? Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Monica, no, I didn't invent this technique. I would have like to have achieved the whites with just my eraser, but the paper wouldn't let me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I might have lazied out with just the grungy paper white you've chosen to experiment with What you could Do if you reached for more tools...
    By the way, I love the satiny smooth and then the sandy rough textures - you nail these stones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I think I have every art supply ever made (I love to buy art supplies) so I might as well find a way to use them!

    ReplyDelete