This is my 2011 art project: I'm going to attempt to do one drawing every day of the year. The drawings can be any medium, any size, any level of care and completion. I'm looking forward to seeing how my work evolves and improves, and whether this practice helps me to be more organized and "together" in the rest of my life pursuits.

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

2/17/11

Today I sketched around the corner from the entrance to my neighborhood. This little grouping of pines on either side of the white fence always catches my eye. It was a delightfully warm day, but VERY windy. I could only tolerate it for about 40 minutes. I decided I MUCH prefer painting outside to drawing outside. Standing and holding a sketchbook, juggling pencils, and fighting the wind is too much trouble! I'm planning on going out painting tomorrow!

Here's a photo I took of it before I started drawing. I like to photograph what I'll be painting, but I rarely end up using the photos as a reference. I much prefer doing all the work on site. I mainly use the camera as a tool to help me compose the picture.

3 comments:

  1. Really nice drawing. Nice sense of light and space, and drawn with a pleasing ease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very very nice... do you actually find painting outside easier, or do you just feel like your effort ends up producing a more durable work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting out there to paint with all my stuff is harder, and the cleanup is harder, BUT, the actual DOING of it is easier, in the sense that I don't have to hold my canvas in one hand. All I have to hold is my paintbrush and a paper towel. Also, painting is easier, because a brush filled with color covers so much more ground then a pencil point. Doing the drawing above involved a lot of "coloring" with the pencil, and seemed very inefficient. So much real estate to cover. (my sketchbook was 11"x14", so it was kind of heavy, too.)

    ReplyDelete