This is my 2011 art project: I'm going to attempt to do one drawing every day of the year. The drawings can be any medium, any size, any level of care and completion. I'm looking forward to seeing how my work evolves and improves, and whether this practice helps me to be more organized and "together" in the rest of my life pursuits.

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge.

Friday, March 18, 2011

3/18/11

This structure is across the road from a large rock quarry on the western outskirts of Centreville. I think it is where they take the gravel from the quarry and make concrete (but I really have no idea what they do there.) I've been looking at this whenever I drive by, and finally decided to pull over on the shoulder across the road and draw it. It was much more detailed than I drew it. I did it entirely in ink without sketching it in pencil first, so some areas didn't come together properly. I really enjoyed doing this - here's a photograph I took from the same spot so you can compare:

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I really love this drawing. Clean, confident, much more interesting than the photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Taryn! It was really fun to draw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - yes - I agree entirely with Taryn; I'd never give the photo area a second glance but you invest it with something... grandeur? modern monument? I also like the trees behind the building; slash slash, chop, slash slash, chop; like a pattern, but it comes out as Tree...

    ReplyDelete