This is my 2011 art project: I'm going to attempt to do one drawing every day of the year. The drawings can be any medium, any size, any level of care and completion. I'm looking forward to seeing how my work evolves and improves, and whether this practice helps me to be more organized and "together" in the rest of my life pursuits.

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

3/25/11




I took Alex to the 9:30 Club last night to see his favorite musician, John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats. Alex was standing down in front at the stage, and I was way up on the upper level in the back corner. I only got a glimpse of the band when people's heads were out of the way, but I had a great selection of back views of people to sketch in my little book. The first three drawings are before the concert started, and the last was during one of the two encores. The couple in front of me were dancing; the guy was loose as a goose, and was bopping his head around in all directions. It was a great concert. Afterward we hung around outside in the freezing cold to meet the band, and Alex had the new vinyl album autographed. We didn't get home until almost 3 am, which is why I didn't post these last night! (I know, I'm such a nice mom!)

2 comments:

  1. These line drawings are so full of volume! I love the individual postures of all the people, and I also like the way the dancing couple seem to be dancing as one unit. I believe I could recognize these people if I were to go to where they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Helen! I love doing little gestures of people. I watched that skinny guy wiggle his head around, and I finally had to pull out my sketchbook again and draw his head in different positions. They were just swaying together, but his head was like it was on a flexible stalk. His neck was so long and skinny.

    ReplyDelete