This is my 2011 art project: I'm going to attempt to do one drawing every day of the year. The drawings can be any medium, any size, any level of care and completion. I'm looking forward to seeing how my work evolves and improves, and whether this practice helps me to be more organized and "together" in the rest of my life pursuits.

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

6/12/11

Photo of stll life for "C" painting

 drawing on canvas

 "C" painting, day 1

I finally got back to my alphabet series! This is "C" - everything in the painting starts with the letter C. I worked from around 1:30 until almost 8 p.m., with a few breaks. I had hoped to get all the canvas covered with the first pass, but I'm "out of shape", since I haven't done any painting (except for copying at the National Gallery) for months. So my stamina isn't what it could be - I just ran out of steam. I'll try to get to it early tomorrow before I go to work at the library, and again after I get home.

The first picture is a photo of the setup before I started the painting. Next comes the sketch on the white canvas, done freehand with a brush. Last is the painting as it stands at the end of day 1. I paint very directly, and try hard to get the colors and values as close as I can. After I cover the whole canvas, I may repaint entire areas to correct values and colors, painting wet into wet, or maybe just touching up here and there if I got it pretty right the first time.

(Please note - I included the photo at top just for comparison and informational purposes. I do all the work directly from life, not from the photo.)

1 comment: