This is my 2011 art project: I'm going to attempt to do one drawing every day of the year. The drawings can be any medium, any size, any level of care and completion. I'm looking forward to seeing how my work evolves and improves, and whether this practice helps me to be more organized and "together" in the rest of my life pursuits.

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

6/19/11

"C" day 5

Today I mainly worked on the picture on the wall, which is Cezanne's painting "The Card Players". I scraped out the cactus and repainted it a little larger. I took out one of the plant's leaves that was reaching down toward the shell. I've been thinking that the shell needs to be moved a tiny bit back and to the right, but I was hoping taking that leaf out would help. It did help, but I think I might still have to move the shell. Sometimes paintings happen quickly and easily, and other times they put up a fuss. Hopefully, as I get back in practice, it will get easier, as the drawings have. Daily practice really does pay off!

2 comments:

  1. The main thing I like about the cactus change is the softening on the lime that makes the shadow to the right on that pad look softer, and removing the leaf really Did help open that area up, freeing up the circling movement around the canvas.

    I'm not so sure you need to move the shell - and what a lot of work is in that shell! In fact, if one blocks the area to the right of the shell and opens the space to the left the resulting spacing might feel almost too regular. Would adding a bit of tape (on the lower corner?) or a push-pin to the calendar help? I try it in my imagination and think so, then try it again and think "no! It's just right as it is now!"

    Here's a thought; if you are fairly certain you are going to leave the table cloth in the lower right as it is now, then perhaps you might sign it. Seriously, often the signature - even when not done flamboyantly - affects the visual composition enough to make just that important bit of difference. It is possible that you are seeing the two largest spaces on either side of the cactus as affecting the shell and closing the right space just the Teeniest bit could "pull" the shell over in the way you're imagining...

    Anyway, I think I like it the way it is now, but I've thought that several times now, and am enjoying the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Em, that's a very thoughtful and helpful critique. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet.

    ReplyDelete