This is my 2011 art project: I'm going to attempt to do one drawing every day of the year. The drawings can be any medium, any size, any level of care and completion. I'm looking forward to seeing how my work evolves and improves, and whether this practice helps me to be more organized and "together" in the rest of my life pursuits.

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge.

Friday, June 3, 2011

6/3/11

 Bulldozer
Excavator

They're widening a road about a mile from my house. It was a beautiful day, I needed a walk, I needed to do my daily drawing, so... I walked over to the construction site with my sketchbook and my Sharpie fine pen. It was the evening rush hour and cars were whizzing by on the two-lane, soon to be four-lane, road. The top drawing was done from across the road. I liked drawing the little bulldozer in profile. He looks smug at what he's accomplished. The second drawing was done further down the road, by continuing on after a sign told me the sidewalk was closed and I needed to cross here. I kept going on dry, hard-packed clay, and found a whole line of big machines. I feel very sorry for folks whose houses back up to this road; they are losing most of their back yards, and will soon have traffic speeding by right under their bedroom windows.

5 comments:

  1. I love these drawings! Really pleasing sharpie pen technique- decisive line with no hesitations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Taryn! I love drawing complicated, unfamiliar things with something I can't erase. It's training me to really look, and mentally plan where everything will be on the paper before I start. Love these machines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your machines because they have such personality - especially the perky little bulldozers. Sad that the people "enjoying" whizzing by will never realize the destruction to the peace of others' homes that this road entailed. Same thing happens here.

    And boy, do I ever admire the seeming precision of your drawings of these complicated machines done without and "safety net" - and as Sharon said; drawing with a pen does force you to pay attention and slow down. I like pens for this reason, too - and haven't dared try the things you accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I never heard Sharon talk about drawing with pens... now I'm even happier that I'm doing it! This last one was the best - the challenging perspective - and I was able to keep it all on the page without "squishing" anything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the personality with which you infuse inanimate objects - the small bulldozer Does look proud of itself; something in the show-dog precision of the set of the blade and haunches, and the other has the proud arch in the neck of an old war-horse.

    ReplyDelete