This is my 2011 art project: I'm going to attempt to do one drawing every day of the year. The drawings can be any medium, any size, any level of care and completion. I'm looking forward to seeing how my work evolves and improves, and whether this practice helps me to be more organized and "together" in the rest of my life pursuits.

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge.

Monday, June 13, 2011

6/13/11

"C" painting, day 2

OK, technically not a drawing, but I'm posting it here anyway. I painted a couple of hours this morning before I went to work, but I was too tired to paint after work. I'm not happy with the medium I'm using; it makes the paint dry too fast. I'll let it sit awhile to dry further, and then I'll go back into it with a different medium - maybe straight linseed oil. This still needs a lot of work - I wasn't careful enough when I painted the checks on the cloth, and I'll need to redo most of it. I'm going to buy a new cupcake - I don't like this one. The cherries need work, and if they shrivel up before I get to them, I'll just buy new ones. Hopefully on Wednesday, when I don't have to work at the library, I'll be able to fix a lot of this. (The shadow at the top is because it's on the easel.)

2 comments:

  1. Well, to me it looks wonderful right Now... with very few places I can spot that I can see you haven't finished with... the checks, for instance don't bother me (and I'm anal) because they just seem to have shimmer and fluff, although I can see the edges aren't done and don't Yet lift off the table. You have painted in the crayons and filled in around them with the Exact shade of blue despite, I assume, the original paint mix being done and gone/dried up... quite a feat of mixing which is often unrecognized until one tries it... and things like the corners on your wood block just end up looking like you have a karmic harmony with the paint, where It simply Conspires to go down in simple strokes that convince the eye of details like rubs and dents without your having to put them in there... much skill in that!
    You are in good company with the shadow; one of the annoying things about the National Gallery is the lighting and One of the annoying things about That is the shadow their fancier frames cast on their paintings... Here, it's an easel and will Go Away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thank you! I feel encouraged - for some reason, I really was frustrated with this yesterday! Tomorrow I'll mix fresh colors and attack it again with vigor!

    ReplyDelete