This is my 2011 art project: I'm going to attempt to do one drawing every day of the year. The drawings can be any medium, any size, any level of care and completion. I'm looking forward to seeing how my work evolves and improves, and whether this practice helps me to be more organized and "together" in the rest of my life pursuits.

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge.

Monday, May 30, 2011

5/30/11

Blind contour, my left hand

This was a true blind contour drawing - I didn't look at the paper at all while I was drawing it. The idea is to look really hard at what you're drawing, and as your eye moves along, your pencil (or in this case, pen) moves along on the paper, which is out of your sight off to the side or behind you, at the same rate of speed. The results are always kind of weird, or hilarious, or cool - the point is that it trains your brain to see better.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting and well-thought (well-concentrated-on) line. I did that exercise with my students making them put their paper on their laps under the table. The couldn't keep their eye on the hand being drawn and see their paper at the same time. The hard part was getting them to look as slowly as you evidently did; there's that business of time showing itself in drawing again.

    ReplyDelete