This is my 2011 art project: I'm going to attempt to do one drawing every day of the year. The drawings can be any medium, any size, any level of care and completion. I'm looking forward to seeing how my work evolves and improves, and whether this practice helps me to be more organized and "together" in the rest of my life pursuits.

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge.

Monday, May 9, 2011

5/9/11

Earth moving machine

I'm not sure what this is called - a bulldozer? a front-end loader? a dirt pusher? Anyway, it's parked in my neighborhood, where the county is redoing a storm drainage pond. This is a modified contour drawing (not a blind contour.) I looked back and forth from the machine to the paper (in a blind contour you never look at your drawing,) but I didn't measure, or pre-sketch. I started at one point and just kept drawing. I started with the grill on the back end (the left side of the drawing,) and by the time I got to the cab, I could see that I wouldn't have enough room on the paper, so I began compressing and squishing as I went. So this is a squished, compressed drawing. But such is the nature of contour drawings, which are not meant to be a faithful reproduction of what you see, but are rather meant to train your brain to go slowly along the contour and record every bump in every line. I used a Sharpie fine point pen, my favorite so far.

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps your squishing is a form of foreshortening? Anyhow, it works as a drawing, and no one is going to try to build another machine from it. I love your heavy machinery drawings!

    As I understand it, if it has a bucket that can hold a scoop of earth and lift it to dump it into a truck then it is a front end loader; if it has a slightly curved blade on the front that can only push stuff, it is a bulldozer. Th,s one looks like it has a bucket on the front; a front-end loader (as opposed to a back hoe, with its digging and lifting bucket on an arm-thing on the back).

    ReplyDelete
  2. A front end loader - I bet you're right. They were filling dump trucks with dirt and carting it off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I think it's cute! Things get cuter as they get shorter or chubbier or bigger headed and so on... it's supposed to be some psychology principle. This looks like Freddie the Front-end loader; talk about a children's book character!

    ReplyDelete