This is my 2011 art project: I'm going to attempt to do one drawing every day of the year. The drawings can be any medium, any size, any level of care and completion. I'm looking forward to seeing how my work evolves and improves, and whether this practice helps me to be more organized and "together" in the rest of my life pursuits.

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

7/17/11

Alex driving

Alex has to accrue 40 hours behind the wheel with a parent before getting his license. Today we went down the Prince William Parkway, a beautiful drive on a beautiful day. I'm aware that I drew his arms and hands too big; I don't know if it was because I was so close to him, or that I considered the arms and hands the most important part of the drawing, because they were controlling the car.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure they are too large - the near hand is closest of all, then the near arm which moves toward you as it heads out to the wheel, etc. And he Is an adolescent boy... they're usually all big hands and feet anyway. I mean, all that is maybe are a Little Wee bit exaggerated, but it conveys the space/relationship very nicely. Maybe the confined space acted like a fish eye lens?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Em! Also, your ARE concerned about his handling the car, so you're likely to put the emphasis on those parts that show his control, namely hands and arms - and eyes looking ahead, for sure. We tend to emphasize what is important, and you have - and Em's probably right about distortion of sitting so close. I was taught that the rule of thumb for not getting distortion was to look from a distance equal to 2 1/2 times the height of the subject. You'd have had to be in another car!

    Love seeing Alex the young man, since he was still Alex the boy last time I saw him - 5 years ago!

    ReplyDelete