This is my 2011 art project: I'm going to attempt to do one drawing every day of the year. The drawings can be any medium, any size, any level of care and completion. I'm looking forward to seeing how my work evolves and improves, and whether this practice helps me to be more organized and "together" in the rest of my life pursuits.

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

7/21/11

Glass of water

I had fun with this - white drawing paper toned with powdered charcoal, then "drawn" by removing the charcoal with a kneaded eraser. It's how I introduce my private students to charcoal drawing. Just a touch of vine charcoal to add the darks, and a little white chalk for the brightest whites.

3 comments:

  1. This drawing has that beautiful softness that tonal drawings have and line drawings cannot get. Perhaps in part it is the relatively smaller steps required when one starts at the mid-value and works outwards across only half the value continuum in either direction to the greatest lights and darks. (If this makes any sense!) I love this drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen just about always makes great sense...
    And you are just about always inspiring! I have been wanting to do one of these, using eraser and a dusted page ever since I saw one way back on Louise's page - I even had the last page in my previous pad reserved for one (it was already very dirty!) but somehow haven't tried yet (and used up that page else-wise). Now I have even more impetus... you make things look so intriguing.
    Love the sparkle on the table!

    ReplyDelete