This is my 2011 art project: I'm going to attempt to do one drawing every day of the year. The drawings can be any medium, any size, any level of care and completion. I'm looking forward to seeing how my work evolves and improves, and whether this practice helps me to be more organized and "together" in the rest of my life pursuits.

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge.

Friday, July 22, 2011

7/22/11

Square jars

Another erased charcoal drawing. I'm feeling lopsided and tired after my first eight hour day in the library, so my jars are kind of lopsided and tired... but it's still fun to see the drawing emerge from a uniformly gray surface, just by erasing, and then going in with vine charcoal for the darks.

3 comments:

  1. They don't feel lopsided and "tired" to me; they look bright and clean and full of light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! You catch these qualities even in fatigue; it is your eyes that may be seeing less well & more judgmentally than usual due to fatigue. Fatigue dulls all our senses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep - and because your judgment of how well you did and how much you like or dislike one of your works is subjective, it can go up and down with your mood.

    Sometimes I really like something much More right after I've done it (maybe I'm still engaged) and sometimes I like it better later when I distinctly remember Not thinking much of it right after I did it... perhaps right after I was more focused on the ways it defeated some intention I had.

    ReplyDelete