This is my 2011 art project: I'm going to attempt to do one drawing every day of the year. The drawings can be any medium, any size, any level of care and completion. I'm looking forward to seeing how my work evolves and improves, and whether this practice helps me to be more organized and "together" in the rest of my life pursuits.

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

7/24/11

Sour balls

I tried the charcoal powder/eraser technique on a different, smoother paper. It didn't work quite as well, with the whites not getting as white as they had on the other drawing paper, so I had to use chalk for the highlights. (This was smooth bristol, I think.) I do like the look of this kind of subtractive drawing, though. It reminds me of mezzotints, or old black and white photographs. Kind of dingy looking, like an antique.

2 comments:

  1. Soft... they look so soft...
    How do these respond to fixative? I've been wondering if fixative works well on them or changes their qualities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fixative is iffy. Many artist don't like it for pastel, because it fills in the little flakes of pigment that give pastels their sparkle. I stopped using it after it ruined a drawing by making black spots all over - the nozzle was clogged. Better to just frame the fragile things under glass with a mat.

    ReplyDelete